Polymer oven-bake clay is perfect for everything from custom jewelry pieces, home décor, sculptures, holiday decorations and more! The best part about oven-bake clay? It is incredibly soft and malleable and will retain its freshness even when exposed to air.
Are you ready to have the tools and know-how to create a clay project you'll be proud to show off? Read on to discover the benefits of polymer oven-bake clay, as well as popular uses and baking tips.
What Is Polymer Clay?
Polymer clay is a type of oven-bake modeling clay composed of resins, polymers, fillers and coloring agents. Available in a multitude of colors, including glow-in-the-dark, metallics and granite, polymer clay is a versatile material that will retain its color and size after the baking process. Thanks to these characteristics, polymer oven-bake clay can be used to simulate materials such as wood, porcelain, stone and faux stones.
Oven-Bake Clay From Sculpey
If you want the best polymer clay brand on the market, you're in the right place. Sculpey offers a range of oven-bake clays to suit your sculpting, crafting and creating needs. Check out our variety of polymer clays:
- Sculpey III: This clay is soft, easy to use and great for kids and beginners to polymer clay. With over 50 available colors, the only limit is your imagination.
- Sculpey Premo™: Premo clay is soft enough to blend, firm enough to hold details and perfect for more experienced artists and techniques.
- Super Sculpey®: Super Sculpey® is a professional-quality sculpting clay that keeps fine details without blurring or bending for maximum artistry.
- Sculpey Souffle™: If you're looking for a lightweight, flexible polymer clay with a suede finish for advanced projects, try our Sculpey Souffle™ clays.
- Original Sculpey®: America's first oven-bake clay! Our classic Original Sculpey® has been a favorite among clayers and crafters of all ages for decades.
- Sculpey Bake Shop: Our Sculpey Bake Shop clays come in over a dozen fun colors. Soft and easy to use, this clays are ideal for kids and experienced clayers alike.
- Liquid Sculpey®: Liquid oven-bake polymer clay is an innovative medium for a variety of crafts. You can use Liquid Sculpey® with molds or other polymer clays to create imaginative pieces and projects.
Benefits of Creating With Polymer Oven-Bake Clay
Polymer oven-bake clay is highly pliable. Makers of all ages use Sculpey clay to make alluring crafts, dolls, small sculptures, jewelry, home décor and more.
Because they are so easy to work with and non-toxic, oven-bake clays are ideal for adults and children alike. Polymer oven-bake clay does not require a professional oven or kiln for curing. Simply follow the product directions on each Sculpey® clay package for baking in a toaster oven or home oven. Oven-bake clay can be:
Cut with tools
Pressed into molds
Sanded after baking
Tips for Using Polymer Oven-Bake Clay
You can use our oven-bake clay in a variety of ways. For a streamlined process, make sure to abide by the following polymer clay tips:
- Protect your surface area: Many modeling clays contain ingredients that may stain or damage finished surfaces. Do not place unbaked clay on furniture, plastic, flooring, carpeting, or fabric. Protect finished surfaces by using unbaked Sculpey clay products on a glass or metal surface, or use disposable foils or wax paper beneath your work. The Sculpey® Oven-Safe Work Matis an excellent surface because it not only protects your surface but then you can put it in the oven and bake your clay creations right on it!
- Condition your oven-bake clay: Work with the clay and warm it in your hands before you begin sculpting. Handling polymer clay makes it more malleable and easy to shape.
- Check the temperature: Bake your creation using an oven thermometer to make sure you are baking at the correct temperature. Read the instructions that come with the type of clay you're using to determine the proper temperature and baking time for your project.
- Add finishing touches: Once you've baked your piece, you can continue to create! If you want, you can sand, buff, glaze and paint your polymer clay creation to take it to the next level.
How Do You Know When Polymer Clay Is Done Baking?
You will know your clay piece has been cured correctly because it will be difficult to break. However, if it is thin, it may bend easily. Once cured, the clay can be cut or broken cleanly without resulting in a crumbly texture.
Glean Inspiration From Polymer Oven-Bake Clay Creations
You may already be thinking about what you can make with polymer oven-bake clay. At Sculpey®, we showcase the best and the latest in polymer clay designs, always striving to inspire people to create with clay. Check out some of the newest polymer clay projects featured on our projects page to see creations like these:
Sculpey® is excited to help you bring your clay creations to life with ease. If you have questions about what Sculpey® brand is best for your project or how long to bake your piece, check out the FAQ page where there are tons of tips and techniques for working with polymer clay!
We offer the best polymer oven-bake clay on the market in a wide range of beautiful color palettes. Browse our clay lines and order your favorite Sculpey® oven-bake clay today.
SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER
Sign up for our newsletter to receive special sales, product sneak peeks, exclusive projects and more!