- Getting Started with Liquid Sculpey:
The Liquid Sculpey® Garnet Metallic Favor Box is a quick and easy project that's sure to please your recipient as much as the actual gift! If you're looking for the perfect way to decorate a present for a friend or family member, polymer clay is a great solution. Liquid polymer clay is excellent for making colorful gifts with lots of character.
Let's explore the benefits of Liquid Sculpey® and take you through step-by-step instructions on how to make your very own polymer clay favor box.
Why Work With Liquid Sculpey®?
Liquid Sculpey® starts as a liquid and then bakes into flexible, strong, lightweight pieces. Like traditional polymer clay, Liquid Sculpey® can be cured when baked in a home oven. The difference is that you squeeze liquid polymer clay out of a bottle to write, draw, fill molds and embellish your creative pieces.
Liquid Sculpey® is an easy-to-use, versatile medium that's perfect for:
- Using as an image transfer medium.
- Adding dry pigments to make color washes and glazes.
- Creating stained glass effects for window clings and suncatchers.
When used with polymer clay, Liquid Sculpey® is also great for creating faux enameling, as a translucent polishing and glazing medium, as a grout for mosaics and as a bakeable adhesive.
Prepare Your Oven and Workspace for Making the Polymer Clay Favor Box
To make this unique polymer clay favor box, you will need a 1-ounce bottle of Liquid Sculpey® Garnet Metallic, a beautifully designed mold, ribbon, white glue and a kraft favor box.
We recommend covering any work surfaces with disposable foil, a metal baking sheet, wax paper or the Sculpey Tools™ Oven-Safe Work Mat to protect finished surfaces and furniture. Stir your Liquid Sculpey® thoroughly and thin with Sculpey® Liquid Clay Softener as needed. Wash your hands before and after working with clay — we've found baby wipes work best!
Liquid polymer clay creations must be baked in a preheated oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for clear and 275 degrees Fahrenheit for colors. Bake thicker pieces that are 1/4 inch or above for 30 minutes and pieces less than 1/4 inch for 15 minutes. For best baking results:
- Use an oven thermometer to ensure the correct temperature.
- Use your home oven instead of a microwave oven.
- Pay close attention to the recommended baking time or temperature.
How to Make the Liquid Sculpey® Garnet Metallic Favor Box
To make your polymer clay favor box, follow these six steps:
- Use Liquid Sculpey® Garnet Metallic to fill the mandala mold.
- Using the little squeegee provided, remove as much excess liquid clay as possible. If you'd like, fill all shapes to use later.
- Bake according to the directions above.
- Carefully apply white glue to the areas where you want to place your mandalas on the kraft box.
- Press down the mandalas on the glue. Allow to dry.
- Tie a sweet bow on your favor box!
Buy Liquid Sculpey® and Oven-Safe Molds Online Today
If you'd like more crafting ideas and inspiration, check out our projects page to view some incredible pieces from our friends and fans. Order your Sculpey Tools™ Oven-Safe Molds: Mandala and Liquid Sculpey® Garnet Metallic today to get started!