You have an amazing idea for a craft project with polymer clay and can’t wait to get started. How much clay should you buy or set aside? Sculpey® has put together this guide to measuring polymer clay so that you can plan ahead and ensure you have enough to make the best finished product possible!
How Much Polymer Clay Do I Need?
Having the right amount of polymer clay for craft projects ahead of time means you can focus fully on your creativity. How much polymer clay do you need for:
- Polymer clay pens: You will need 3/4 of a 2-ounce package of polymer clay for most pens or 1/4 of a package of each color if you’re using three colors.
- Cup or vase: One bar of clay rolled out to the thickness you might use for a bowl, cup or vase will yield about 5 square inches, which is typically enough for one of these projects.
- A bangle: If you want to make a bracelet, half of a 2-ounce bar of polymer clay is usually enough, though you may need a whole package, depending on the thickness of the bangle you want to make.
- Covering a glass jar: If you wanted to cover a medium-sized jar, rolling out 2 ounces of polymer clay would create a thin sheet measuring about 5 inches by 8 inches, enough to cover your container.
- Figurines: Small figurines will require 1 to 2 ounces of polymer clay, depending on the size of the finished piece, but you can estimate how much clay you will need by examining a pack of clay and imagining the figure’s size.
More Considerations for Measuring Polymer Clay for Craft Projects
When choosing your clay, consider:
- It’s better to have more than less: If you make last-minute adjustments or decide to make your piece a little larger, you’ll need more clay. You may want to keep extra clay on hand to allow for free creativity.
- You can use excess clay: You don’t have to make your measurements exact. If you have scraps leftover, you can use them to try out small projects or create something extra, like a pair of earrings.
- You can plot before you buy: You can create a paper template of your project and measure it before you buy your polymer clay, keeping in mind that 2 ounces of clay can produce a 5-square-inch sheet or a rectangle measuring 5 inches by 13 inches when rolled out, depending on thickness. Working with paper templates helps you estimate how much clay you need.
Find the Perfect Batch of Polymer Clay at Sculpey®
If you’re looking for polymer clay, Sculpey® has a rainbow of colors and types of clay to experiment with. From 1-pound blocks to individual 2-ounce packs and even a multipack with 12 colors in 1-ounce portions, Sculpey® has you covered for every project, large and small. Browse the full line of Sculpey® polymer clays today and stock up so you can express your creativity with clay!