Once you have a few Sculpey® products, you’re ready to start working with polymer clay. However, you want to make sure that you have the right tools to bring your imagination to life. You don’t have to spend tons of money to make downright stunning and imaginative creations — plenty of affordable polymer clay tools are available on the market.
So what tools do you need for polymer clay? Start with the essentials and then move on to tools with specific uses.
The Essential List of Affordable Polymer Clay Tools
Having the following tools available will broaden your abilities to work with polymer clay:
- Cutters: When you can cut your clay into precise shapes, you’ll be able to follow-through on your ideas more easily. Whether you purchase cutters specifically meant for polymer clay or use strong plastic or metal cookie cutters, be sure to keep them clean and in a handy basket, box or drawer.
- Toothpicks and straws: These are some of the most inexpensive polymer clay tools you can use, and you probably have them at your house already. You’ll use them frequently to shape clay and mix Liquid Sculpey® with other items.
- Razor blades: Keep these out of reach of children, of course. But keep them handy for yourself because they’re great for scraping polymer clay off work surfaces and ceramic tiles.
- Stamps: Create dazzling, texture-laden surfaces on your polymer clay with stamps such as the rubber kind with the wooden backing, or plain ones made specifically for use with clay. As a bonus, you can transfer stamp pictures and designs onto your clay before baking by using a permanent stamp pad.
- Molds: Oven-safe molds will help your polymer clay cure into a certain shape. You can either press regular clay into the molds or use the molds with liquid clay. Only use these molds for clay, not for cooking or food items.
- Sculpting and modeling tools: As you get more accustomed to working with polymer clay, you’ll want tools to more precisely cut and shape the clay’s surface. Pick up a package of starter sculpting or modeling tools, so you have everything you need to succeed.
Extra, Nice-to-Have Polymer Clay Tools
After you purchase some essential clay tools, you might want to start augmenting your tool supply with a few extras. Below are some ideas:
- Ball tools: These types of tools have balls at the end of sticks. The balls help you perfectly puncture or carefully shape your clay.
- Unusual stamps: If you look on the internet, you’ll find a wide variety of stamps. You might even discover ones originally made for use with surfaces such as leather. These specialty stamps may cost more than a traditional variety pack, but if you’re looking for something in particular, they can be practical add-ons to your toolkit.
Buy Polymer Clay and Tools From Sculpey®
Sculpting success starts with having the right supplies on hand. If you’re looking for affordable clay tools, be sure to browse the online Sculpey® store.