Getting Started with Liquid Sculpey:
Please make sure your work area is covered and you are not working on an unprotected surface. We recommend working on the Sculpey® Oven Safe Work Mat, wax paper, metal baking sheet, or disposable foil. Uncured Liquid Polymer Clay may damage unprotected furniture or finished surfaces. Be sure to cover your crafting area appropriately. - Stir Liquid Sculpey® completely.
Thin with Sculpey® Liquid Clay Softener as needed - Wash hands after use (we have found that baby wipes work best)
• It is important to use oven thermometer when you bake the liquids so that you can ensure your oven is at the correct temperature. • Do not microwave the liquids. They must be baked in a Preheated oven at 275 ºF (130 ºC) for liquid colors and 300 ºF (149 ºC) for Clear – Do not exceed baking temperatures. • If your piece is less than 1/4” bake for 15 minutes. For thicker pieces that are 1/4” or above bake for 30 minutes. • If your liquid project has become yellowed or discolored in the oven, when you remake it, tent it by placing either – folding an index card in half and placing your project under it or by using aluminum foil over your project.
Take your clean Sculpey butterfly mold and put the Silver Liquid Sculpey a tiny bit at a time in the mold. I used my finger to rub the liquid clay into the mold. I used the upper right small geometric butterfly shape.
Bake your butterfly for 10 minutes at 275 F. Cool.
In a small cup, mix glitter and Clear Liquid Sculpey . Using a toothpick, mix and apply to the butterfly body . Bake again for 10 more minutes at 300 F. Cool
Add a jump ring. Attach to scrunchie.
Create a one-of-a-kind butterfly scrunchie charm using Sculpey Tools™ Oven-Safe Molds: Geo Butterfly and Liquid Sculpey®. With just two 1-ounce bars of Liquid Sculpey®, a butterfly silicone mold, glitter, a toothpick, cup and jump ring, you can create this stunning butterfly charm for yourself or a loved one in just 45 minutes!
How to Make Your Very Own Butterfly Scrunchie Charm
Before getting started on your butterfly scrunchie, we suggest covering your work surface with the Sculpey Tools™ Oven-Safe Work Mat, disposable foil, a metal baking sheet or wax paper. Make sure to stir Liquid Sculpey® completely and thin with Liquid Clay Softener as needed.
It's important to ensure your oven is at the correct temperature before baking the Liquid Sculpey® Butterfly Scrunchie Charm. As a general rule, use an oven thermometer to ensure your preheated oven has reached 300 degrees Fahrenheit for Liquid Sculpey® Clear and 275 degrees Fahrenheit for liquid colors. Bake thicker pieces that are 1/4 inch or above for 30 minutes, and pieces less than 1/4 inch for 15 minutes.
Once your oven is preheated and your work station is prepared, follow these six steps to make your butterfly scrunchie come to life:
- 1. Place the Silver Liquid Sculpey® a little bit at a time into the clean Sculpey® butterfly mold.
- 2. Gently rub the liquid clay into the mold with your finger.
- 3. Bake your butterfly for 10 minutes at 275 degrees Fahrenheit and let cool.
- 4. Combine Clear Liquid Sculpey® and glitter in a small cup. Apply the mixture to the butterfly body using a toothpick.
- 5. Bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes and let cool.
- 6. Add a jump ring and attach the butterfly charm to your scrunchie.
Why Use Liquid Polymer Clay?
Liquid Sculpey® allows you to achieve a variety of special effects. Add a little wonder to your creations by tinting liquid polymer clay with a range of paints and pigments. You can also mix it with spices, glitters, dry flowers, sand, sequins, mica powders, tinsel, metal leaf or flakes for a truly dazzling effect.
Use Liquid Sculpey®:
- - To seal your beads or soften crumbly clay.
- - As a fixative for surface effects.
- - To create multi-layered effects.
- - To enhance the bond between clay pieces.
- - As a coating to take the place of varnish.
- - With pigments to make unique faux effects.
- - For mirror and window clings.
- - In molds to create home decor pieces and jewelry.
- - As a drizzle for polymer clay miniatures.
- - To glaze your polymer clay creations.
- - To transfer photos to your clay.
Buy Liquid Polymer Clay Today
For over 50 years, Sculpey® has been bringing high-quality polymer clay to home kitchens, classrooms and studios everywhere. We strive to spark your imagination with inspiring pieces from all our friends and fans. Our accessories and tools are specifically designed to work with clay — we want to make crafting easy and fun!
To get started on your butterfly scrunchie, order Sculpey Tools™ Oven-Safe Molds: Geo Butterfly and a 1-ounce bar of both Liquid Sculpey® Clear and Liquid Sculpey® Silver today.