Polymer Clay Fluffy Bird Tutorial
Just in time for spring, this adorable little "fluffy bird" can be made in any color of your choice!
- First begin by choosing your polymer clay in the color of your choice.
- Cut off 1/4 of the block.
- Fully condition this section.
- Take this sheet and divide it in half. Now carefully cut one half in half again.
Making the Body:
- Take the largest section of clay and roll it into a rounded teardrop.
- Now take one of the smaller sections and also roll it into a rounded teardrop.
- Take 6 tiny pea-sized balls of yellow or orange clay and roll them into teardrops and place them in 2 sets of 3.
- Take another pea sized amount of clay and shape it into a rounded triangle for the beak.
- Add the smaller teardrop on top of the larger.
- Place the "feet" at the bottom of the large teardrop and be sure to firmly join them to the clay.
Making the Wings:
- Using the remaining clay, roll it through the 4th largest setting of your pasta machine.
- Take the smallest oval in the Basic Mini Cutters Set and cut out about 8 ovals.
- Fold each oval slightly in half to create a puffed oval shape.
- Once all your wing pieces are ready, add one oval to the side of your bird's body.
- Hint: Remember that you want this little guy to have movement, so make his wings look like they go in different directions.
- Use 2-3 ovals for each wing, or more if you want him fluffier.
- Do the same thing to Fluffy's backside for his tail.
Adding Facial Details:
- Using your needle tool, add two glass black seed beads to press in for the eyes.
- Attach the beak to the front of his face by pressing it firmly into the surface of the face.
- Roll a few tiny pieces of what remains from cutting our your ovals as tiny pieces of hair on his head.
- Additional fun: Add a belly button and some tummy lines for increased "chubby" effect.
- Add any mica powders or chalk details at this point.
Time to BAKE according to manufacturer's instructions.
1/4 block Premo polymer clay in your choice of color, Super Slicer, Clay Conditioning Machine, Smallest Oval Cutter from Sculpey Basic Mini Cutters, needle tool from Style and Detail Tool set, 2 black glass seed beads, mica powder that matches the color of your bird, blending chalks.