How to Use Air Dry Clay
To get all your air dry modeling clay crafts off to the right start, make sure you know the best ways to work with your material. Here are general guidelines to follow:
- Surface: For the best results in sculpting and crafting with air dry clay, plan to work with a smooth, well-cleaned, non-porous surface.
- Amount: Because the clay is made to air-dry, try to open only what you need at the time and leave the rest still wrapped or sealed and stored. Pinch or cut off the amount you need and take more out as you go, even for larger projects.
- Working: Knead your clay before you begin shaping it for your creations. Our polymer clay is already soft and pliable, but warming the clay with your hands is a good practice to spread the substance, condition the material and get a feel for what you’re working with.
- Shaping: You can use a combination of your hands, crafting tools and multimedia materials to shape your clay into the design you desire, create unique patterns and textures and incorporate mixed media elements. Remember: you can create anything you can imagine! Just make sure the finished product is exactly what you want before allowing it to dry.
- Drying: Lay or stand your air dry clay projects on a nonporous surface with a clean and smooth finish in an area with low humidity. Let the projects remain untouched and undisturbed for about 24 hours to ensure complete hardening.
Model Air® - Air Dry Clay and Model Air® Dry Porcelain Clay
At Sculpey®, our best air dry clay options are high-quality and unique. Use our smooth, pliable, lightweight Model Air® Air Dry clay for kids’ crafts, home décor and jewelry projects. Once dry, it’s hard, durable and can be drilled, carved, sanded or painted for extra flair.
Our Model Air® Dry Porcelain Clay is another stunning option that’s ideal for creating realistic figurines, flowers and fancy jewelry. Add extra color by kneading oil paint into the clay and enjoy the dazzling translucent finish that will remind you of porcelain when dry. Explore all our products and project ideas for more inspiration.